Since you’re in the pharmacy business, you know how tough it is to keep your brand moving and keep up with the competition. Today, pharmacy owners adopt various business development strategies. They invest in advertising, offer discounts, and build a strong online presence. All these strategies pursue the goal of building strong customer relationships and growing revenue.
Statistics show that modern customers prefer buying medications online. No wonder medicine delivery apps are growing in popularity.
Below, we share information about developing an app that delivers medicine. Upgrade your knowledge and start building your own pharmacy delivery app from scratch.
An online medicine delivery app enables customers to order doorstep delivery of pharmacy products. A delivery app is a game changer in the pharmacy industry. Until recently, there wasn’t any alternative to buying medicine at a brick-and-mortar pharmacy.
Customers can use a pharmacy app to browse many categories of medications. Once they find what they need, they can add it to the cart and proceed to checkout. Users can then make instant secure payments and receive delivery updates.
An app that delivers medicine solves a problem for customers who need medications but don’t want to wait in line at a pharmacy. By improving the buying experience, a pharmacy can retain regular customers and win new ones.
But escaping long lines isn’t the only reason medicine delivery apps are popular. If you want to know what customers favor these apps for, check out the list of reasons below.
Our team has looked at why users choose medicine delivery apps. These are the five main reasons we’ve identified:
- Privacy. Customers at traditional pharmacies often feel uncomfortable buying prescription and over-the-counter medications in front of others. They prefer the privacy of buying online.
- Push notifications. An online medicine delivery app offers scheduled notifications, saving users from running out of medicine and forgetting to refill their prescriptions.
- No travel costs. Since medications are delivered to the doorstep, customers save money on going to brick-and-mortar pharmacies. This is especially convenient for buyers in remote areas.
- Information about medications. Сustomers can browse for detailed information on medications and study all the instructions.
- More competitive prices. When buying online, customers can quickly find a more competitively priced generic for their expensive prescription medications.
Now let’s talk about the technical aspects of developing an app. How can you build a pharmacy delivery app? What features are must-haves?
Your medicine delivery application should feature role-based user permissions. Each permission type should give access to a certain feature stack.
We suggest you go with four user roles: customer, pharmacist, admin, and in-house courier. Below, you’ll find a detailed list of the features required for each role.
Steelkiwi advice: Your app will stand out if you implement a few advanced features. For example, it can implement a medication reminder feature (check out the image below) for people taking many pills throughout the day. Another advanced feature is a chat box so users can get in touch with a pharmacist and ask about medications.
Steelkiwi advice: For better order management and control, pharmacy staff can use a web-based interface like the one shown below.
Steelkiwi’s remark: It’s the pharmacy owner who decides on the type of delivery to offer. Some businesses create in-house delivery teams. Others choose to outsource medicine delivery services to third parties in the style of an Uber pharmacy delivery.
Once you decide to develop your own medicine delivery app, you’ll want to know the cost of medicine delivery app development. The cost depends on three main criteria.
1. The number of dashboards and the features in each dashboard. Online pharmacy app developers need a certain number of hours to implement every feature.
User and payment management
2. Hourly development rate. This depends on the location of your pharmacy app developers. Have a look at the map below to see average rates around the world.
3. Number of platforms. An app for one platform will cost about the same amount whether you’re developing for iOS or Android. If you build a mobile app for both platforms, the cost of online medicine delivery app development will rise. Android and iOS differ in terms of market share. To choose the platform for your app, you need to decide what audience you would like to reach.
Ready to start developing your medicine delivery app? Our experience and the latest technologies give us the power to develop a pharmacy delivery app to meet your needs. Tell us about your project and one of our representatives will get in touch with you.